Main content

Latest DTV

Freo's X-Factor

2:11pm  Feb 21, 2018

It's up to me, it's up to you

10:51am  Feb 21, 2018

itching to play: Matera

10:38am  Feb 21, 2018

Antonio's big kick

9:30am  Feb 21, 2018

Latest News

Matera targets hot start

New recruit Brandon Matera is hopeful he can recapture his early 2017 form

5:06pm  Feb 21, 2018

Fit Freo causing selection headaches

Brandon Matera says he doesn’t envy the difficult decisions facing the coaching staff heading into the JLT Community Series

3:33pm  Feb 21, 2018

AFLW: Miller sees hard work paying off

Hayley Miller says Fremantle is looking to continue their growth as the competition progresses

12:45pm  Feb 21, 2018

Final term fadeout for Peel

Karina Vakil - Curtin University  August 28, 2017 11:40 AM


Luke Strnadica has enjoyed his role in the ruck having 48 hit outs for Peel on Saturday.

A final term fadeout by Peel Thunder has resulted in a 34-point loss to South Fremantle in their last home and away game at Rushton Park on Saturday.

The Thunder fought hard in a highly contested game to finish 12.14 (86) to 18.12 (120). Fremantle ruckman Luke Strnadica said the Thunder showed great effort despite falling back in the last quarter.

“We were strong in the first three quarters and just died off a bit there in the last quarter, though we showed some really strong effort for the game,” Strnadica said.

Despite the loss, Strnadica said the group looked dangerous in the first three terms as they worked on surging the ball forward.

“We were really strong around the ball [and] we were up in the clearances so that was a real positive, [which was] something we’d been working on,” he said.

Josh Deluca kicked the first goal of the game granting Peel a strong start whilst the Thunder kept the pressure on the Bulldogs defence during the first quarter.

The Thunder continued pushing forward in the second quarter but trailed by four points at half-time. Peel’s intensity lifted in the third term as they played their trademark style of football, winning the tackle count 22 to 14.

Coach Cam Shepherd reminded the team of last week’s efforts in the last quarter and urged the team to do the same at three-quarter time.

The Thunder started the final term strong converting a goal within the first minute but failed to keep the momentum going as the Bulldogs scored five unanswered goals.

Luke Strnadica said the fourth quarter was disappointing but he was pleased with the team's efforts over the whole game.

“We couldn't get our hands on the ball … which took its toll but I thought we were really strong all day,” he said.

The contest in the midfield was tight during the game despite Strnadica’s dominance in the ruck finishing with 48 hit outs.

Strnadica said he has enjoyed his return to the ruck after playing forward for majority of the season.

“I've played as a ruck in early days [for] junior footy and got put into the ruck this year and I’ve loved it,” he said.

Fremantle’s Luke Strnadica praised Josh Deluca and Griffin Logue for their performance on the field.

“Deluca was really strong in the mid field [and] Logue as well at the back,” Strnadica said.

Peel Thunder will head up to Fremantle Oval to play South Fremantle again on Saturday 2 September in the Qualifying Final.