TelstraAFL Live Pass
Main content

Latest DTV

First year reflection: Giro

9:33am  Sep 20, 2018

First year reflection: Switkowski

1:22pm  Sep 18, 2018

Top 5 Memorable moments

2:03pm  Sep 13, 2018

Season reflection: Duman

8:48am  Sep 13, 2018

Latest News

AFLW: Antonio a rising star on and off the field

Ebony Antonio has won the 2018 NECA Electrical and Communications Association (EMA) 2nd-year apprenticeship award with Programmed

1:52pm  Sep 20, 2018

Leaders set strong example for rookies

Stefan Giro says the leadership group inspired Freo’s first year players in 2018

11:30am  Sep 20, 2018

Patience pays off for debutant

Sam Switkowski learned a lot during his time on the sidelines

11:34am  Sep 18, 2018

Freo brave against Giants  April 14, 2018 1:24 PM

Bailey Banfield kicked his first goal for Freo on Saturday.

A fierce wind made life difficult for both sides in Canberra, but Greater Western Sydney used it best to battle to a 31-point win over Fremantle at UNSW Canberra Oval.

The football was scrappy during Saturday afternoon's clash and goals never came easy, but GWS' power and class stood out in the 11.16 (82) to 7.9 (51) win.

Fremantle made the early running to go to the first break with a nine-point lead, but the Giants powered away to a 3-1 record with seven goals to two during the second and third terms.


The Freo Dockers hit back early in the final quarter through Brandon Matera's second goal and Bailey Banfield's first major of his young AFL career, but a brilliant snap from the dangerous Toby Greene midway through the final term steadied the Giants.

They stretched the margin to 19 points as rain started and helped thwart a Fremantle comeback.

Greene finished with two goals and played a key role in three others in a typically threatening display, while Giants co-captain Callan Ward showed a dominant midfield performance.

Lachie Neale, Stephen Hill and veteran David Mundy worked hard for Fremantle, while captain Nat Fyfe provided a highlight with a brilliant goal on the half-time siren.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon believed the game was lost in the Fremantle Dockers' forward half as Fremantle couldn't capitalise on having three more inside 50s than the Giants.

"Haynes and (Heath) Shaw were really good on our young forwards who got lost in tough conditions and that allowed (GWS) to shift the ball out quite well," Lyon said.

"We fought on and gave ourselves an opportunity (in the last quarter) so there's some good learnings in that."

GWS: Jeremy Cameron looked sore and had an issue with his left leg but played out the match, so he'll need to be monitored this week.
Fremantle: Young midfielder Ed Langdon (illness) was a late withdrawal but should be right to play next week.

The Giants are back in Melbourne next Saturday afternoon to take on St Kilda at Etihad Stadium, while the Fremantle return to Optus Stadium to play the Western Bulldogs in the Len Hall Tribute Game

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY     1.5   5.9   8.14   11.16 (82)
FREMANTLE                                   3.1   5.2   5.6       7.9 (51)

Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 2, Griffen 2, Greene 2, Hopper, Coniglio, Taranto, de Boer, Lloyd
Fremantle: Matera 2, Sandilands, S. Hill, Fyfe, Banfield, Mundy

Greater Western Sydney: Ward, Haynes, Coniglio, Hopper, Greene, Taranto, Deledio
Fremantle: S. Hill, Neale, Mundy, Sandilands, Banfield

Greater Western Sydney: Davis (cut chin)
Fremantle: Ed Langdon (illness) replaced in the selected side by Darcy Tucker

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Fisher, Hosking, Rosebury

Official crowd: 11,356 at UNSW Canberra Oval