United by Purple

11:55am  Oct 16, 2018

Year in review: rounds 1-7

9:56am  Oct 16, 2018

2019 new rules revealed

12:52pm  Oct 11, 2018

Indicative draft order: 16 October

View the draft order after the second-last day of trading

5:27pm  Oct 16, 2018

Ryan’s positives from 2018

Luke Ryan's 2018 was highlighted by a top-five finish in the Doig Medal

4:31pm  Oct 16, 2018

Off-season diaries

See how the Freo players are enjoying their off-season

2:35pm  Oct 15, 2018

Pearce happy to play on big name forwards

Ned Balme  April 30, 2016 4:52 PM

Ross Lyon was pleased with the efforts of Alex Pearce on Tex Walker

Related

I was happy when I found out I was playing on him

One of the shining lights in Freo’s 33-point loss to Adelaide on Saturday was young key defender Alex Pearce.

Talking points after Crows loss

In only his 18th game of AFL football, Pearce was tasked with the challenge of taking on Adelaide captain and two-time All Australian nominee Taylor Walker, and put together an impressive display, keeping the formidable forward goalless and to just 10 disposals.

Pearce said he relished the opportunity to play on an opponent of such quality as Walker.

“I was happy when I found out I was playing on him, and I always want those big roles,” Pearce said.

“It’s certainly something I look forward to.”

The 200cm key defender had 11 disposals and also took four contested marks, and while he impressed in his effort on Walker, the humble big man was quick to credit his teammates for their role in the game.

“I was reasonably happy with my game, but I had a lot of support from our defenders which is what you need when you’re playing on such a good player like him.”

Ross Lyon post-match Q & A: Round 6 v Adelaide

Pearce said he and his fellow defenders were looking forward to the challenge when the impressive GWS Giants roll into town for next Saturday’s round seven clash.

While the sound of an Alex Pearce and Jeremy Cameron matchup sounds enticing, the defender said it would continue to be about team defence rather than just one marquee matchup.

“Whether it’s myself or Daws (Zac Dawson) that gets him, we know as a defensive group that we need support and roll off help from everyone,” he said.

“It’s another big challenge and something we’re looking forward to.”

Vote for Alex Pearce in the Freo Fans' MVP thanks to McDonalds