A brave Peel Thunder outfit led for most of the day, but Claremont lifted when it mattered to win at Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Still in front 25 minutes into the last term, Peel conceded two goals in the final minutes to see Claremont win by seven points.

Fremantle midfielder Luke Valente was named amongst Peel’s best in arguably his most impressive performance since returning from injury.

Valente collected 26 disposals to add to his six marks and five tackles.

Fremantle’s Bailey Banfield also returned for his fourth game with Peel for the season after missing a month with an ankle injury.

Banfield kicked a goal to go along with his 14 disposals, four marks and two tackles for the match.

Young Fremantle defender Nathan O’Driscoll (10 disposals, four marks) said it was great to have Banfield back playing in Peel’s front half.

“It was really good, he is a big presence up forward and competed really hard when the ball was in his area,” O’Driscoll said.

“It’s good to have someone like him back and I’m sure he’s not too far away from another AFL game.”

Fremantle ruck Lloyd Meek had 37 hit outs to go along with his 17 possessions, while young forward Stefan Giro was also solid with 14 disposals and a goal.

Young Fremantle defender Tobe Watson also returned to Peel after being omitted from the senior side, finishing with 16 disposals and six marks.

Produced by

02:18 Mins
Published on

WAFL: Peel fall short in dying moments

A brave Peel Thunder outfit led for most of the day, but Claremont lifted when it mattered kicking two goals in the final minutes to win by seven points. Match report compiled by Curtin University.

Published on

Produced by


“It was really good to have Tobe come down and play with us,” O’Driscoll said.

“He competed really hard, beat his man and was first to the ball…he played pretty well today.”

O’Driscoll said he will look to improve his offensive game after having a quieter day against Claremont compared to his 20 disposals against Swan Districts the weekend prior. 

“I thought I played my role alright and beat my man at times, but I didn’t get involved offensively,” O’Driscoll.

“It’s part of my game that I’m trying to work on…we’ve got a break now, so we’ll go back and reset and then come back firing the week after.”

Peel have a bye next weekend before they return in round 12 to take on East Perth at David Grays Arena on Saturday 26 June.