- 70% OF WA Adults, 16 and over are overweight or obese.
- 25% of Children, 5-15, are overweight or obese.
- It is estimated that illness from being overweight or obese will cost the WA government $610M per year by 2026.
- One in five Australian’s aged 16-85 experience mental health issues in any given year.
- WA has the second highest rate of youth suicide in the country.
WHAT IS NEEDED?
- Improved education and awareness around physical activity and nutrition, along with addressing general issues of disadvantage.
- An “all of community” effort that includes timely and accessible expert medical treatment, as well as non-medical community-based programs.
- To create education, awareness and participation programs that facilitate healthy lifestyle choices and physical activity for children and adults.
- To work in a complementary way with experts and leading mental health service providers. We must explore ways to create community environments that support strong mental health and address social isolation issues as a way to build thriving communities.